Monday, January 31, 2011

First-of-the-Month Update Time

In case you somehow managed to miss both my Twitter and Facebook posts, Issue 4 of “Dante’s Heart,” featuring my original short story “Ala ad-Din,” is now live at http://www.dantesheart.com/index.html

I even got mentioned in the editor’s note. ^_^ This is the first non-journalism piece that I’ve ever had published, so I’m really excited and hope everybody enjoys it. (Please leave comments about it! I love to hear what people think of my work, even if it’s criticism. Feedback = <3)

Still plodding along on the latest manuscript. For those of you not in critique group, this is Necropolis, a diesel punk zombie apocalypse for young adults. Diesel punk is steam punk’s grimier, younger cousin, with advance technology based around the internal combustion engine and usually set in the 1920s-1950s, rather than the 1850s-1910s. In this case, the setting is Paris in autumn of 1949, six years after World War 2 is cut short by the rise of the undead.

Yes, I’m having a world of fun with this one.

Currently it’s at 60,000 words, and it’s looking to be between 70,000 and 75,000 all told. I’m hoping to have the first draft done in time for the DFW Writer’s Conference at the end of the month, so I’m doing my usual 1,000 to 2,000 words a day.

I’m also working on the most complicated scene I’ve ever had to write, since it’s an in-game conversation that has to change depending on the incidents that come before it…but that’s technically fandom stuff, so I’ll keep it for myself for now.

Once again: Go read Dante’s Heart. It’ll make me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment